I often say, we don’t have business problems. We have personal issues that show up in our business or work.
Let me explain…
Business is, in and of itself, a neutral thing. It’s only when we bring ourselves and our interactions and reactions into the equation that things flourish or falter!
Have you had those days where you feel completely in your ‘flow’ taking positive action left and right? Your business feels effortless and any challenges that crop up are handled with ease. Then there are those days when everything feels like a battle and as if you’re wading through treacle, getting stuck at every turn.
Same business, different results. The only thing which is different is you.
What stops your business from thriving?
As women, running our own business comes with so many great benefits. We thrive with the freedom and flexibility of doing work we love and setting our own business hours, so we can coordinate our schedules with our families, and take time out to be with our children when we want to.
Creating and running a successful business also takes a lot of hard work though. There’s a level of self-belief needed that for many (and I hate to say it, but especially for us ladies) is lacking. I see it all the time in my business circles and with my female clients: women who have created successful businesses or who have the ideas and knowhow to do so, but who are stopping their business in its tracks from growing and making money. They get so far and then either self-sabotage their success or let ‘imposter complex’ run riot through their minds.
Why do we do this?!
Well if, as I mentioned before, business itself is neutral, then the issue here is clearly a mindset one, so let’s look at this a little more closely.
Imposter syndrome shows up in many ways and is a world-class storyteller. Once its inner narrative is playing in our minds, it’s so compelling that we assume it must be true – but it never is!
So, what kinds of stories are we hoodwinked by?
They go something like this…
- “I feel like such a fraud – I’ve done nothing to warrant this success or to charge these fees. I know I’m going to be found out at any moment and that will be mortifying!”
- “There’s not a cat in hells chance I am going to release that product to the market until I know it’s perfect. Maybe it’ll never be perfect though, so perhaps I should just forget the idea altogether!”
- “Mary’s really thriving in her business – I know I’m just never going to be as good as her or have the success that she’s having.”
These kinds of stories seldom have a happy ending and are rife with particularly unhelpful side effects!
- Procrastination… the mother of all diversion tactics! But let’s face it ladies, procrastinating as you sort out a cupboard or two will not grow your business!
- Falling for fear… it is said that there are only two emotions, love or fear, and the stories of imposter syndrome are fraught with fear at every turn! But all fear does is keep you small and stop you from reaching your full potential, and what a crying shame that is! I love to break fear down as False Evidence Appearing Real .
- What if they won’t pay? Money is a slippery side effect and one that we believe comes with a great deal of power! I have so many clients who tell me that they’re afraid their clients won’t pay for their services as they seem ‘too expensive’. Believe me – if they need what you have to offer they will always find the money, period!
Perhaps the most debilitating part of imposter syndrome is the way it limits your courage to go after new opportunities and explore potential avenues of growth for your business.
Believe in yourself and watch the money roll in!
For your business to make money you, of course, need to believe in what you offer, but most importantly of all you need to believe in yourself! Your mindset is the number one factor that will help you recognise and actualise your success.
Let’s face it, if you don’t know what internal battles you’re up against, you’re always going to be taking two steps forward and one step back. I know you don’t want that for yourself, I know you want and deserve so much more!
In my work as a money coach, I spend a great deal of time working with my clients on their inner challenges and blockages, as well as the outer more practical ones. This deep inner work unlocks issues that my clients had never seen before, and opens doors to allow confidence, creativity and money to flow freely in their lives.
If you want to thrive in your business and see the money flow, you can arrange a free call with me. Start by taking my money quiz and let’s work together on building your self-belief.
Leave a Reply